H-1B Visa

Immigration Solutions to Advance Strong Cases

H-1B Specialty Occupation

The H-1B visa offers a path to lawful permanent residence in the U.S.  If you are traveling to the United States for a professional job for a U.S. employer and you meet the qualifications, an H-1B visa may be suitable for you.

To qualify, a bachelor’s or higher degree (or equivalent) in the specific specialty for which employment authorization is being sought is required. A prospective employer is required to obtain a labor condition application with the Department of Labor concerning the employment and then file an employment based petition on the applicant’s behalf with USCIS.  Once the petition has been approved, a visa from the consulate may be obtained.  H-1B status has a six-year maximum and it may be extended in limited circumstances.  H-1B employees must be employed by their approved employer in order to maintain status in the U.S.

H-4 Dependent

If approved, an H-1B dependent is admitted in H-4 status.  H-4 dependents can work in the U.S. if he or she meets all the eligibility requirements and obtains an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this webpage is provided for general information only and should not be construed as legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.