K-1 Fiancé(e) Petitions


Immigration Solutions to Advance Strong Cases

The K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a USC. This visa allows the foreign-citizen fiance(e) to enter the U.S. and marry his/her USC sponsor/fiance(e) within 90 days of entry into the United States.

The K-1 category requires that the U.S. citizen petitioner sponsor file a petition on behalf of his/her foreign-citizen fiance(e), Form I-129F, before applying for the K-1 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad. Upon approval, the foreign-citizen fiance(e) may pursue the K-1 visa abroad.

To apply for the K-1 visa, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) will need to meet all the requirements of the consulate or embassy where s/he will be filing his or her application. The K-1 applicant will also need to pass an interview in front of a consular officer.

The K-1 visa allows the visa holder a single admission at a U.S. port-of-entry within the time frame of the visa, which is a maximum of six months from the date of issuance. K-1 visa holders may apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent residence.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this webpage is provided for general information only and should not be construed as legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.