L-1A/L-1B Intra-Company Transferee

Immigration Solutions to Advance Strong Cases

The L-1 visa can be used as a path for an employee to seek lawful permanent resident status.  Employees of an international companies who are temporarily transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same company in the United States may qualify for an Intra-Company transfer (L-1) visa. The company abroad may be either a U.S. or foreign organization.  The beneficiary/employee must be at the managerial or executive level, or have specialized knowledge and have been employed outside the United States with the international company continuously for one year within the three years preceding the application for admission into the United States.  The employer files the L-1 petition and once the petition has been approved, the employee/beneficiary may apply for the visa.

Starting an Office

For new offices, the Petitioner will also be required to show proof of adequate physical premises for the new office and, within one year of the approval of the petition, the intended U.S. operation will support an executive or managerial position (L-1A). In the case of an L-1B petition for  with specialized knowledge, the petitioner must show financial ability to remunerate the beneficiary and to commence doing business in the United States.

Blanket Petitions

If requested by the employer and approved, the Blanket L eliminates the need to file separate petitions with USCIS for each transferred employee.  Instead, transferring employees may apply for an L-1 visa directly at a U.S. consulate or embassy in the employee’s own country. 

Large multinational companies may apply for this status for their employees.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this webpage is provided for general information only and should not be construed as legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.